Rough sea keeps trawlers off fishing in Goa
Panaji: Gusty winds and rough sea conditions kept mechanised fishing trawlers in Goa away from the waters even as the state government today lifted the 61-day ban on fishing.
The trawlers which were eagerly awaiting the fishing ban to be lifted on July 31, could not venture in the waters as sea remained rough due to continuous rains lashing the coastal state since a month.
There are 1000-odd trawlers which would vie for prized solar prawns during this season.
Mandovi Fishermen Co-operative Society (MFCS) President Menino Afonso said the fishermen are not ready to take a chance of venturing in the sea considering the difficult weather conditions.
Three different incidents of canoes capsizing were reported during this week due to unfavourable sea conditions.
Afonso said that although the ban has been lifted the actual fishing can start only when rains subside and sea conditions are favourable.
Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) in its warning issued yesterday had advised fishermen to stay away from the sea.
The warning continues for today too.
"Winds will be south-westerly with a speed of 45-50 KMPH temporarily reaching 60 KMPH in gust. Sea will be rough with mainly south westerly waves. Fishermen are advised not to go out in sea," the IMD warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you