Rough sea keeps trawlers off fishing in Goa
Panaji: Gusty winds and rough sea conditions kept mechanised fishing trawlers in Goa away from the waters even as the state government today lifted the 61-day ban on fishing.
The trawlers which were eagerly awaiting the fishing ban to be lifted on July 31, could not venture in the waters as sea remained rough due to continuous rains lashing the coastal state since a month.
There are 1000-odd trawlers which would vie for prized solar prawns during this season.
Mandovi Fishermen Co-operative Society (MFCS) President Menino Afonso said the fishermen are not ready to take a chance of venturing in the sea considering the difficult weather conditions.
Three different incidents of canoes capsizing were reported during this week due to unfavourable sea conditions.
Afonso said that although the ban has been lifted the actual fishing can start only when rains subside and sea conditions are favourable.
Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) in its warning issued yesterday had advised fishermen to stay away from the sea.
The warning continues for today too.
"Winds will be south-westerly with a speed of 45-50 KMPH temporarily reaching 60 KMPH in gust. Sea will be rough with mainly south westerly waves. Fishermen are advised not to go out in sea," the IMD warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened