RTI activist objects to provision in Ladli scheme; sends notice
Panaji: A RTI activist has sent a legal notice to the Goa government on its flagship Ladli Lakshmi scheme questioning a provision in it which makes it mandatory for the beneficiary to get signatures of a MP or MLA on the forms.
Aires Rodrigues, a high court lawyer and RTI activist, has issued legal notice to Chief Secretary Sanjay Srivastava, giving him 48 hours notice to the government to withdraw the clause making a MP or MLA`s sign mandatory on the form before it is submitted to the Directorate of Women and Children.
"MLAs and MPs are elected to draft, debate and legislate good laws. They cannot be allowed to usurp the power of government departments which are supposed to manage and implement government schemes freely and fairly without any political bias," the notice reads.
The RTI activist has said that he would be forced to move to the High Court, if government does not drop the clause.
Rodrigues has pointed out that in response to the Union Home Ministrys advisory, the Puducherry administration has issued directives for the removal of mandatory recommendations by MLA or MP for availing of benefits of welfare schemes implemented by the government there.
Ladli Lakshmi scheme was launched recently by the state government through which an amount of Rs one lakh is given for the girl between the age of 18-40 for her marriage.
The state government`s clause has also not gone well with the Opposition benches, who during the ongoing state legislative assembly session, has questioned government`s wisdom of having that clause.
"The forms should not be with the MLAs or MPs. They should be in the government departments," Leader of Opposition Pratapsingh Rane said participating in the discussion last week.
He suggested that the forms should be kept in the office of sub-registrar, where marriages are registered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Attention TV lovers, we have a good news for 'Sarabhai vs Sarabhai' fans! - Read more
- News Television Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags best news channel website honour
- Say Whaaat! Winners of Sunny Leone, Rannvijay Singha's 'Splitsvilla 9' already decided?
- Google-backed transpacific submarine cable between US and Japan goes live today!
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments