Russian rape case: Accused politician absconding
Panaji: John Fernandes, an accused in the
Russian girl rape case, was today absconding and the police
was hot on the trail of the high profile politician from South
Goa whose anticipatory bail has been cancelled.
The Russian Consulate meanwhile took umbrage at the
contentious remarks made by Congress MP from Goa Shantaram
Naik in the Rajya Sabha directed against the rape victim.
The Consulate even offered to issue an advisory asking
its citizens not to remain outside hotels after 10 PM, in an
apparent response to remarks by Naik and Chief Minister
Digambar Kamat that the victim should not have been out with
men late in the night.
The BJP also demanded a public apology from Naik for his
controversial remarks which had angered several woman MPs.
Police spokesman Atmaram Deshpande told reporters that
the Crime Branch has not been able to trace Fernandes, who is
missing since yesterday`s order of the Goa bench of the Mumbai
High Court order which cancelled the anticipatory bail granted
to the fugitive by a district and sessions court.
The 25-year-old Russian girl, whose name has not been
released, has alleged that Fernandes(34) had allegedly raped
her at Colva beach on December one. Deshpande said that police
have initiated all the required steps to arrest Fernandes.
Sources said Colva police on Tuesday went to the
accused`s house where he was unavailable.
The Russian Consulate in Mumbai in a letter to Kamat
voiced its distress over the victimisation of its citizens in
Goa and said that the recent cases of crime against their
women has caused a great deal of public concern back home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next