Russian rape case: Court declares accused as `absconding`
Panaji: John Fernandes, a high-profile south
Goa politician accused of raping a Russian girl, has been
declared `absconding` by a court in Margao on Friday.
The Crime Branch, which is investigating the case, today
moved an application to get John declared absconding as he was
untraceable, police said.
Judicial Magistrate First Class, Margao, pronounced him
as absconding responding to the petition, they said.
The court also issued an arrest warrant against the
accused, who is wanted by Crime Branch to investigate the rape
A 25-year-old Russian tourist had alleged that John raped
her on December 1 mid-night after spiking her drink.
Police Inspector Sunita Sawant said that the Crime
Branch had initiated efforts to trace the accused but he was
Goa bench of the Bombay High court on December 16 had set
aside lower court`s order granting anticipatory bail to John.
Police said that John, who had surrendered to police
during his bail period, has been not contactable since then.
Police, pleading for cancellation of anticipatory bail of
John, had said that the accused was needed for custodial
Earlier, the Supreme Court refused to grant anticipatory
bail to John Fernandes in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city