Russian rape case: Goa police yet to summon accused
Panaji: Goa police are reluctant to
question, John Fernandes, the accused in Russian rape case
pending order on the anticipatory bail petition, which would
come for hearing tomorrow.
Superintendent of Police (PRO) Atmaram Deshpande told
reporters this evening that they are yet to question John as
the verdict on the anticipatory bail is pending final order.
“We cannot get him for custodial interrogation as
court has directed against the arrest pending final order,"
Deshpande said. He, however, dodged the query on why the
police are averse even to take accused’s formal statement.
Deshpande confirmed that the Crime Branch had not even
summoned the accused in the case despite the girl’s statement
John, local politician, accused of raping 25-year-old
Russian girl, has moved for anticipatory bail in south Goa’s
district and session court.
The arguments on the petition were completed today and
the order is fixed for tomorrow.
Interestingly, even as assistant public prosecutor
(APP) opposing the bail petition had argued that they want to
confiscate the car, in which the girl was raped, the Crime
Branch is yet to recover the vehicle.
"As far as my brief goes, the Crime branch has not yet
recovered the vehicle from the accused," Deshpande said.
Responding to a question, the SP said that the police
were reluctant to get the car as the accused might charge the
investigating agencies of `planting the evidence in the car’.
“We will decide future course of action only after his
custodial interrogation," he added.
Crime Branch is investigating the case of rape lodged
by Russian woman, working as a Russian representative in a
five star resort here.
According to the complaint lodged by the victim, John
raped her by spiking her drink while she was dining with
another Russian woman at `Boomerang’ shack at Colva beach.
The accused is a high profile politician who
unsuccessfully fought 2007 Goa legislative assembly elections
from Benaulim constituency on Save Goa Front political outfit
floated by Public Works Department Minister Churchill Alemao.
The victim, in her statement to Russian consulate said
that she was harassed at Colva police station and suggested to
tone down the complaint against the accused. Colva police had
registered case of attempt to rape against John.
The case is currently investigated by Crime Branch,
who have taken fresh statement of the victim, charging the
accused of rape.
Deshpande today said that the medical examination has
confirmed bruise marks on the victim’s body.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof