Russian rape case: Goa police yet to summon accused
Panaji: Goa police are reluctant to
question, John Fernandes, the accused in Russian rape case
pending order on the anticipatory bail petition, which would
come for hearing tomorrow.
Superintendent of Police (PRO) Atmaram Deshpande told
reporters this evening that they are yet to question John as
the verdict on the anticipatory bail is pending final order.
“We cannot get him for custodial interrogation as
court has directed against the arrest pending final order,"
Deshpande said. He, however, dodged the query on why the
police are averse even to take accused’s formal statement.
Deshpande confirmed that the Crime Branch had not even
summoned the accused in the case despite the girl’s statement
John, local politician, accused of raping 25-year-old
Russian girl, has moved for anticipatory bail in south Goa’s
district and session court.
The arguments on the petition were completed today and
the order is fixed for tomorrow.
Interestingly, even as assistant public prosecutor
(APP) opposing the bail petition had argued that they want to
confiscate the car, in which the girl was raped, the Crime
Branch is yet to recover the vehicle.
"As far as my brief goes, the Crime branch has not yet
recovered the vehicle from the accused," Deshpande said.
Responding to a question, the SP said that the police
were reluctant to get the car as the accused might charge the
investigating agencies of `planting the evidence in the car’.
“We will decide future course of action only after his
custodial interrogation," he added.
Crime Branch is investigating the case of rape lodged
by Russian woman, working as a Russian representative in a
five star resort here.
According to the complaint lodged by the victim, John
raped her by spiking her drink while she was dining with
another Russian woman at `Boomerang’ shack at Colva beach.
The accused is a high profile politician who
unsuccessfully fought 2007 Goa legislative assembly elections
from Benaulim constituency on Save Goa Front political outfit
floated by Public Works Department Minister Churchill Alemao.
The victim, in her statement to Russian consulate said
that she was harassed at Colva police station and suggested to
tone down the complaint against the accused. Colva police had
registered case of attempt to rape against John.
The case is currently investigated by Crime Branch,
who have taken fresh statement of the victim, charging the
accused of rape.
Deshpande today said that the medical examination has
confirmed bruise marks on the victim’s body.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation