Russian tourists in Goa to receive medical insurance cover
Panaji: Russian tourists in Goa facing
medical emergencies will not have to pay from their pocket now
as a Moscow-sponsored medical insurance firm has worked out a
mechanism to reach out to them within hours of any exigency.
The tourists will be insured with League of Defence
and Medical Services (LMD), a Russian Government-sponsored
medical insurance firm that has initiated a process of
empanelling Goa-based hospitals.
"The company will reimburse the medical bills of these
hospitals on the spot, which means the tourists need not spend
their own money in case of medical emergencies," LMD`s
representative in Goa, Vikram Varma, told agency today.
LMD`s Goa operation stems from the fact that there has
been a spurt in number of Russians visiting this tourist
paradise. "After Greece and Turkey, which attract five lakh
Russians each annually, Goa has emerged as an important
destination for them," he said.
The Tourism Department figures reveal that around
45,000 Russians visited Goa last year, while this year the
number is projected to cross the 50,000-mark. If this trend
continues, Russians are likely to soon outnumber Britons
visiting the coastal state.
Although the insurance scheme is optional, the company
officials feel an increasing number of visitors will opt for
it after Goa facility begins fully operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH