Russian tourists in Goa to receive medical insurance cover
Panaji: Russian tourists in Goa facing
medical emergencies will not have to pay from their pocket now
as a Moscow-sponsored medical insurance firm has worked out a
mechanism to reach out to them within hours of any exigency.
The tourists will be insured with League of Defence
and Medical Services (LMD), a Russian Government-sponsored
medical insurance firm that has initiated a process of
empanelling Goa-based hospitals.
"The company will reimburse the medical bills of these
hospitals on the spot, which means the tourists need not spend
their own money in case of medical emergencies," LMD`s
representative in Goa, Vikram Varma, told agency today.
LMD`s Goa operation stems from the fact that there has
been a spurt in number of Russians visiting this tourist
paradise. "After Greece and Turkey, which attract five lakh
Russians each annually, Goa has emerged as an important
destination for them," he said.
The Tourism Department figures reveal that around
45,000 Russians visited Goa last year, while this year the
number is projected to cross the 50,000-mark. If this trend
continues, Russians are likely to soon outnumber Britons
visiting the coastal state.
Although the insurance scheme is optional, the company
officials feel an increasing number of visitors will opt for
it after Goa facility begins fully operational.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Piers Morgan pokes fun at India's performance in Rio: Here's how Virender Sehwag SHUT him down
- Raj Thackeray defies SC order, MNS ties Dahi-Handi at 49 feet in Thane
- Fashion for me is feeling glamorous, confident: Shraddha Kapoor
- Jio does Apple, people throng Reliance Stores for free 4G test SIM
- SHOCKING: DySP forces women trainees to mention their period dates, makes fun of pregnant cadet