Two of Sanstha's members were killed when explosives,
which were reportedly planned to be planted at 'Narakasur'
effigy competition on October 16 last year, went off
prematurely in Margao town in the state.
Sanstha's Managing Trustee Virendra Marathe said their
campaign against glorifying Narkasur will continue and it will
be held along with Hindu Janajagruti Samiti and like-minded
He said the Sanstha will create social awareness about
this tradition through peaceful means.
"We are not against 'Narakasur' effigies but we want that
their size should not be larger than life. We want that Lord
Sri Krishna, who killed the demon should be glorified," said
Marathe, who was also summoned by the police after Margao
Sanatan and similar organisations have decided to give a
memorandum to district administration and police besides
releasing press notes to educate masses on the issue ahead of
Diwali on November 5.
'Narakasur' effigies are burnt as a tradition in Goa on
Diwali eve to mark victory of good over evil.
Various institutions and clubs organise competitions
across the state on grand scale judging best Narakasur effigy.
National Investigating Agency (NIA), which has
chargesheeted the accused in Margao bomb blast case, had
claimed that the explosion was aimed to create panic and the
accused were targeting the 'Narakasur' competitions.
Two Sanatan seekers Malgonda Patil and Yogesh Naik,
were killed when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) went off
in their scooter dickey.
NIA has chargesheeted 13 people, including two deceased,
for attempt to carry out serial bomb blasts in the state.
Panaji: Sanatan Sanstha, whose members were
arrested for attempt to carry out serial bomb blasts in Goa on
Diwali eve in 2009, has decided to go ahead with its campaign
against glorifying mythical demon 'Narakasur' even this year.
First Published: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 12:36