Scarlet case: Trial will reveal cover-ups, says lawyer
Panaji: Trial in the British teenager Scarlet
Eden Keeling death case would uncover further details on the
cover-ups attempted after the incident, Counsel for Fiona
Mackeown, mother of the girl, said on Monday.
Goa Children’s Court earlier in the day framed charges
against two locals -- Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho --
for grave sexual assault, molestation, destroying evidence and
culpable homicide in the case.
The teenager`s bruised semi-nude corpse was found at
Anjuna shore on February 18, 2008.
Mackeown had alleged that the police were trying to cover
up the case.
"The trial hopefully would uncover further details on
the cover up which is a larger crime," Varma, Fiona’s counsel,
The considerable evidence in this case was destroyed or
manipulated by diabolical minds, he said, adding, "however,
those minds were not as successful as they thought they would
"I am happy that charges have been framed against the
accused," he said.
Court president B P Deshpande today directed to begin the
trial in the case, which had attracted world attention due to
alleged shoddy handling by the Goa police in its initial stage
and subsequent campaign by Fiona claiming police-drug peddler
nexus in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes