Scarlet case: Trial will reveal cover-ups, says lawyer
Panaji: Trial in the British teenager Scarlet
Eden Keeling death case would uncover further details on the
cover-ups attempted after the incident, Counsel for Fiona
Mackeown, mother of the girl, said on Monday.
Goa Children’s Court earlier in the day framed charges
against two locals -- Samson D’Souza and Placido Carvalho --
for grave sexual assault, molestation, destroying evidence and
culpable homicide in the case.
The teenager`s bruised semi-nude corpse was found at
Anjuna shore on February 18, 2008.
Mackeown had alleged that the police were trying to cover
up the case.
"The trial hopefully would uncover further details on
the cover up which is a larger crime," Varma, Fiona’s counsel,
The considerable evidence in this case was destroyed or
manipulated by diabolical minds, he said, adding, "however,
those minds were not as successful as they thought they would
"I am happy that charges have been framed against the
accused," he said.
Court president B P Deshpande today directed to begin the
trial in the case, which had attracted world attention due to
alleged shoddy handling by the Goa police in its initial stage
and subsequent campaign by Fiona claiming police-drug peddler
nexus in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened