Scarlett case: CBI to examine witness via VC
Mumbai/Panaji: Four years after the death of British teenager Scarlett Eden Keeling, a special Goa court in a first, has permitted CBI to record evidence of a key prosecution witness in the case, through video conferencing.
The investigation agency had earlier filed an application before the Goa Children`s Court, which is conducting trial in the case, seeking permission to examine the witness via video conference from the United Kingdom (UK).
The application was filed by Michael Mannion, a British national, and one of the eye witnesses who saw the 15-year-old girl with the two accused on the night she was allegedly murdered.
Mannion said he was ready to come down to Goa to testify as a witness only if the prosecution reimbursed him for loss of his salary there and expenses incurred.
Mannion had also said he apprehended threat to his life.
"Mannion feared threat from the accused and hence had requested CBI to record his deposition via video link. He is keen to depose in the matter," his lawyer Vikram Verma said.
Scarlett`s semi-nude corpse was found at the famous Anjuna beach in Goa on February 18, 2008. Two persons- Samson D`Souza and Placido Carvalho - were arrested soon after on the charges of rape and murder. The duo is facing trial presently.
The case was handed over to CBI after allegations of a shoddy probe were levelled against Goa police by Scarlett`s mother Fiona Mackeown.
Children`s Court judge Anuja Prabhu Desai yesterday allowed the CBI application and directed CBI counsel Ejaz Khan to make necessary arrangements to record the witness`s statement through video-conferencing.
The court has so far recorded evidence of over 15 witnesses, including that of the girl`s mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price