Scarlett family disappointed by CBI chargesheet
Panaji: The chargesheet filed by Central
Bureau of Investigation in the infamous Scarlett Eden Keeling
death case has disappointed the family members of the victim
as charges of rape and murder against the accused have been
"Despite the forensic doctors confirming rape and
homicide, to the shock of my client, the supplementary
chargesheet filed by CBI has not only diluted the charges to
culpable homicide but also ruled out rape", Vikram Varma,
Scarlett`s family lawyer, told agency today.
CBI`s special branch had chargesheeted Placidao Carvalho
and Samson DSouza in the sensational case reported on February
Varma, reacting to the chargesheet, said there was no
mention about the few individuals who consciously tried
their best to assist the criminals by covering up the crime.
The lawyer, who represented Scarlet`s mother Fiona in her
struggle for justice after the British teenager`s body was
found on Anjuna beach on February 18, 2008, said there were
two crucial issues which needed to be investigated.
One is the actual rape and homicide and another is
action by some individuals who, "in their attempt to assist
the murderers, misrepresented the facts, manipulated the
documents and tried to pass off the case as an accidental
drowning", he said.
"To my mind, those few officers of the state, who
attempted to pass off the homicide as an accident, not only
brought down the credibility of our criminal justice system
but also brought down our national image", Varma said.
He said that from what he has seen so far, he was
disappointed but would comment further only after a thorough
scrutiny of a supplementary chargesheet.
Varma said "we are fortunate in India to have one
of the finest minds heading the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Chidambaram enjoys the highest credibility not only in India
but the world over. But such an incompetent action by an
agency like CBI could unfortunately damage the credibility of
our home ministry, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi