Scarlett Keeling murder: Defence lawyer says act against mother for negligence
Less than a week after British teen Scarlett Keeling's mother Fiona Mackeown blamed probe agencies and an inconsiderate system for acquitting two Goa beach shack workers in her daughter's 2008 rape-murder, a lawyer for accused Placido Carvalho wants the mother to be acted against for negligence.
Panaji: Less than a week after British teen Scarlett Keeling's mother Fiona Mackeown blamed probe agencies and an inconsiderate system for acquitting two Goa beach shack workers in her daughter's 2008 rape-murder, a lawyer for accused Placido Carvalho wants the mother to be acted against for negligence.
Advocate Pravin Naik, who has represented Carvalho in course of the trial, has also said that action should be taken against Fiona, claiming her statement to the media on Friday (September 23), on the day Carvalho and fellow accused Samson D'Souza were acquitted, where she said that foreigners do not get justice in Goa, was blatantly incorrect.
"I will appeal to the state government that after going through the judgement and after going through the evidence on record, they should also take action against the mother of the deceased girl for being negligent towards her duty," Naik told reporters here.
He also pointed out to the sequence of events before Scarlett's death, brought on record in course of the trial, where Fiona left her 15-year-old daughter in the care of one Julio Lobo, in Siolim village, before heading for Gokarna in the neighbouring state of Karnataka with her other children.
"So how she can keep the custody of a minor girl with a stranger, very well knowing the fact that the person with whom the custody was kept was used to alcohol. So there was complete negligence on part of the mother of the deceased to take care of the custody of the child and as far as the investigation is concerned. Based on the evidence on record, there is clear evidence that the mother of the deceased girl was negligent in taking care of the child," he said.
According to the Central Bureau of Investigation probe, Scarlett was allegedly sexually assaulted by D'Souza and Carvalho, in February 2008 after plying her with drugs and left to die on Anjuna beach. Eight years after the offence was registered, the Goa Children's Court acquitted the duo last week.
Following the order, Fiona as well as her lawyer Vikram Varma alleged that it was difficult for foreigners to get justice in Goa, especially when the crime is committed by locals.
Naik now wants the state government to take cognisance of Fiona's statement.
"My submission is, let the state government look into the matter and initiate action against the mother of the victim girl, because she has made a very blatant statement to media, that there is no justice for foreign tourists in India, without even knowing the judicial system in India," Naik said.
Naik also said that Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar, who on Friday said that the outcome of the trial was "unfortunate", should read the contents of the order, before making such statements.
"My appeal to the honourable Chief Minister is kindly look at the evidence on record," he said.