Scarlett`s mother deposes before Goa court
Panaji: Two and half years after her
daughter Scarlett Eden Keeling was found dead on a Goa beach,
Fiona Mackeown on Friday narrated the deposed before a court here
narrating the sequence events in the run up to and post-death.
Fiona, in her deposition before Goa Children`s Court,
reiterated that police sub inspector Nerlon Albuquerque had
initially tried to cover up the case.
"He (Nerlon Albuquerque) told me that she (Scarlett) had
drowned during swimming. Scarlett was very good in swimming
and so I did not believe him," Fiona told GCC president P V
In her two-hour deposition, the British mother said that
when she saw Scarlett`s body in the morgue, she had noticed
bruises on her forehead, which were ignored by the sub
inspector as marks received during post-mortem.
"On February 19, 2008, they showed me the body which was
covered. When the cover was removed, the body was naked and
there were some bruises on the forehead," she said.
Fiona said that at that time she had asked Albuquerque
about the bruises on the forehead as he had told her
previously that there were no bruises.
"He told me that the said bruises were received during
mortem," she said.
Scarlett`s corpse was found on Anjuna shore on February
18. The British school girl was alone in Goa, with her mother
and other siblings out on Karnataka tour, when the incident
Albuquerque was suspended from services for goofing up
Fiona said that two days later, when she went around the
place where Scarlett`s body was found, she was surprised to
see her daughter`s sandals, underwear and shorts.
She said she had consulted foreign office when she saw
"They advised me to take it to the police as it was an
important evidence," she recalled.
During the deposition, Fiona said that initially she had
suspected an Israeli boy named Shanti to be involved in the
death of her daughter.
"Initially, I suspected Shanti," she said narrating the
moments soon after it was confirmed that Scarlett was dead.
Fiona, however, rejected the charge that Shanti was
threatening the family. "He was a nuisance and he used to
throw stones at us," she said.
Shanti was reportedly friendly with Scarlett before she
met Julio Lobo, a Goan boy.
"Scarlett had planned to go to Finland with Julio. We had
discussion about the same and I had agreed to send her to
Finland with him," Fiona said.
Fiona would be further cross-examined on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'