School girl rape: I am being made scapegoat, says headmistress
Panaji: The school headmistress, who was arrested following the alleged rape of a seven-year old girl student on the school premises, has claimed that she is being made a scapegoat in the case.
Police had on Sunday arrested headmistress Sharlet Furtado for negligence on her part which led to the rape of the girl in the toilet of the school in Vasco town on January 14.
"The arrest of the accused (headmistress) is intended to divert the attention of the public protest and find a scapegoat for the failure of the investigating team to nab the accused," a lawyer representing Furtado had told the court on Tuesday.
Furtado, who was granted bail by a local court yesterday, had an unblemished career during the last ten years as a teacher, her lawyer claimed.
She had been consistently drawing the attention of the management to the lack of security at the school gates, the lawyer had told the court.
"A number of memorandums and representations were submitted to the management to provide security and placing CCTV cameras to record the entry of persons into the school premises," she added.
The issue had also been discussed in the parents-teachers association meetings, she said.
The main accused in the rape case is still at large.
- Watch: Queen's response to dare from Obamas is simply hilarious!
- WATCH: How Harbhajan Singh, Hardik Pandya put birthday cake all over Rohit Sharma's face
- This mind-boggling stat reveals why Virat Kohli has been T20 cricket's king in 2016!
- Horror films genre is still niche: Sharman Joshi
- Indian man hacks Dawood Ibrahim's call details, plans to give many secret details to PM Modi