Search in Goa sub-jail post drug sale expose
Panaji: A massive search operation was on Wednesday launched inside the highly-guarded sub-jail at Sada near Vasco town by the Goa Prison authorities, after a local television channel aired footage of drugs being sold inside the jail.
The channel aired visuals of a prisoner boasting of selling narcotics to the inmates.
The availability of luxuries like television, mobiles and cigarettes was also shown in the footage labelled as "sting operation by prisoner".
Superintendent of sub-jail Gaurish Shankhwalkar said that the prison administration has initiated inquiry into the sting operation.
"We are investigating whether drugs are really sold behind bars. We cannot comment anything at this juncture," he said.
Shankhwalkar said the jail is being searched for the banned substances but till now nothing has been found.
"We are still searching," he added.
Also, the sting shows one of the inmates claiming that "senior officers in-charge of this jail were sharing the profits made out of the sales."
Sada sub-jail, a highly guarded prison, was in the news earlier for frequent escapes.
The state-constituted Lavinsons Martins committee had recommended severe security measures to be implemented in this jail.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi