Shah panel explores possibility of ban on iron ore export
Panaji: Ban on iron ore export from Goa is one of the possibilities explored by the Shah Commission during its investigations into the illegal mining scam in the state, a senior member of the panel said here on Tuesday.
Justice RA Mehta, a senior member of the commission, told a news agency, "Banning export (of iron ore) is one of the options being considered to curb illegalities in the trade."
Justice MB Shah, heading the commission, had earlier said ban on iron ore export could be recommended as an interim measure. The statement had triggered panic among the people
dependent on mining, who sought protection to legal mining.
The panel has begun re-inspection of the mines after the first round pointed out several anomalies by mining lease operators.
"It`s premature to say whether there are illegalities in the mining trade in Goa. At this stage, we can`t say if there is a scam or not...the commission is in the process of
collecting data, which would be compiled to form the final report," Mehta said.
From Monday, the panel members have begun visiting all the 90-odd operating and 32 non-functional mining leases in the state.
During its first round of inspections, the commission had found nearly all the mines encroaching upon the adjoining areas, sources said.
"We can say almost 90 percent of the mining leases have some or other violations," a senior commission member said.
Mehta said though no specific time frame has been put as far as the mining probe in Goa is concerned, the entire inquiry into illegal mining trade in the coastal state, Orissa, Jharkhand, Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh would be completed by March 2012.
Goa`s mining industry is wading through crisis as illegal mining trade has taken over the legal business. According to rough estimates, there is an illegal mining of Rs 1,200 crore
to Rs 10,000 crore in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez