Shelter home escapes: Criminal action recommended
Panaji: An inquiry into the frequent escapes from the government-controlled shelter home for minors have recommended criminal action against the staff, who allegedly facilitate these custody-breaks.
Lavinson Martins, a senior state government officer, has submitted the report to the Women and Child Welfare Ministry last week. The report has investigated how the children were being smuggled out of the custody and let loose.
The children, as per the police investigations, were picked up by a local gangster from Apna Ghar, a government-run shelter home for children in conflict with law and children, who need care and protection, who used to use them for grievous offences like robbery and even murder.
"In the recommendatory part of the report, it is suggested that criminal or/and departmental action should be taken against the staffers, who were responsible for the escapes," a senior ministry official said revealing about the 65-page-long report.
During the inquiry, Martins took deposition of 43 people including two judges who headed Juvenile Justice Boards (JJB) in each district, entire staff, Child Welfare Committee members, NGOs, former members of CWC, caretakers of the children, superintendents, security guards and night watchmen.
The investigation was focused around last four escapes, right from December 2011.
As per the terms of reference for the inquiry, the role of the NGOs interacting with the children was also looked into in the probe.
The shelter home, located on the outskirts of Panaji city, has 80 inmates.
The facility hogged the bad news after police investigation revealed that the children from this home were indulging in criminal activity after their escapes.
A caretaker, a gangster and four children were arrested by police busting a racket that used to steal two-wheelers.
One of the child was also allegedly involved into a murder case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof