Show cause notices to 40 mining firms in Goa
Panaji: The Goa State Pollution Control Board
(GSPCB) has issued show-cause notices to 40 mining firms for allegedly extracting ore much beyond permissible limit.
The firms have been asked why appropriate action under
relevant laws should not be initiated against them. They have
been given three dates, April 11, 13 and 16, to appear before
the board with relevant documents and submit their replies, a
GSPCB official said today.
The mines found to be extracting ore in excess of their stipulated limit will have their consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Act revoked, the official said.
Several mines in the state have been under the scanner
for allegedly extracting ore beyond permissible limit set
under the Environment Clearance (EC) issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests (MoEF).
Goa has 90 operational mining leases, which tapped 43 million tonnes of ore during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Beware! No more selfie on board, DGCA taking cognizance
- Turkey PM vows retaliation after 'vile' Cizre attack
- Taapsee Pannu, Neeraj Pandey reteam on 'Meera'
- James Rodriguez may make last Real Madrid appearance in Celta Vigo game
- Manufacturing growth to be higher in Q2 on better export outlook: Survey