Show cause notices to 40 mining firms in Goa
Panaji: The Goa State Pollution Control Board
(GSPCB) has issued show-cause notices to 40 mining firms for allegedly extracting ore much beyond permissible limit.
The firms have been asked why appropriate action under
relevant laws should not be initiated against them. They have
been given three dates, April 11, 13 and 16, to appear before
the board with relevant documents and submit their replies, a
GSPCB official said today.
The mines found to be extracting ore in excess of their stipulated limit will have their consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Act revoked, the official said.
Several mines in the state have been under the scanner
for allegedly extracting ore beyond permissible limit set
under the Environment Clearance (EC) issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests (MoEF).
Goa has 90 operational mining leases, which tapped 43 million tonnes of ore during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened