Show cause notices to 40 mining firms in Goa
Panaji: The Goa State Pollution Control Board
(GSPCB) has issued show-cause notices to 40 mining firms for allegedly extracting ore much beyond permissible limit.
The firms have been asked why appropriate action under
relevant laws should not be initiated against them. They have
been given three dates, April 11, 13 and 16, to appear before
the board with relevant documents and submit their replies, a
GSPCB official said today.
The mines found to be extracting ore in excess of their stipulated limit will have their consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Act revoked, the official said.
Several mines in the state have been under the scanner
for allegedly extracting ore beyond permissible limit set
under the Environment Clearance (EC) issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests (MoEF).
Goa has 90 operational mining leases, which tapped 43 million tonnes of ore during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days