Show cause notices to 40 mining firms in Goa
Panaji: The Goa State Pollution Control Board
(GSPCB) has issued show-cause notices to 40 mining firms for allegedly extracting ore much beyond permissible limit.
The firms have been asked why appropriate action under
relevant laws should not be initiated against them. They have
been given three dates, April 11, 13 and 16, to appear before
the board with relevant documents and submit their replies, a
GSPCB official said today.
The mines found to be extracting ore in excess of their stipulated limit will have their consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Act revoked, the official said.
Several mines in the state have been under the scanner
for allegedly extracting ore beyond permissible limit set
under the Environment Clearance (EC) issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests (MoEF).
Goa has 90 operational mining leases, which tapped 43 million tonnes of ore during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened