Show cause notices to 40 mining firms in Goa
Panaji: The Goa State Pollution Control Board
(GSPCB) has issued show-cause notices to 40 mining firms for allegedly extracting ore much beyond permissible limit.
The firms have been asked why appropriate action under
relevant laws should not be initiated against them. They have
been given three dates, April 11, 13 and 16, to appear before
the board with relevant documents and submit their replies, a
GSPCB official said today.
The mines found to be extracting ore in excess of their stipulated limit will have their consent under Water and Air Pollution Control Act revoked, the official said.
Several mines in the state have been under the scanner
for allegedly extracting ore beyond permissible limit set
under the Environment Clearance (EC) issued by the Ministry of
Environment and Forests (MoEF).
Goa has 90 operational mining leases, which tapped 43 million tonnes of ore during the last financial year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing