Six fishermen missing after trawler collides with Goa
Panaji: In a major accident off Goa`s coastline, an Indian Navy vessel collided against a fishing trawler in South Goa throwing overboard 23 crew members, of which six members are still missing, a senior police official said Thursday.
Police said that the accident happened 47 nautical miles off Canacona coast during the wee hours today.
The Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy have launched a search operation for six crew members, who could not reach the coast.
One of the crew members stated that no distress call could be given out because the fishing trawler had been wrecked into two pieces, due to the impact of collision.
Krishna Shivpundi, one of the crew members of the trawler named `Anna Maria`, which had left Cutbona fishing jetty in South Goa last night, claimed that the trawler was illuminated well enough for any ship to know its location, when the accident happened.
Trawler crew members who were brought to safety on the shore were in the water, with their life jackets on, for almost five hours, before the Indian Coast Guard offered them help.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India