Six fishermen missing after trawler collides with naval ship
Panaji: In a major accident off Goa`s coastline, an Indian Navy vessel collided against a fishing trawler in South Goa throwing overboard 23 crew members, of which six members are still missing, a senior police official said on Thursday.
Police said that the accident happened 47 nautical miles off Canacona coast during the wee hours today.
The Indian Coast Guard and Indian Navy have launched a search operation for six crew members, who could not reach the coast.
One of the crew members stated that no distress call could be given out because the fishing trawler had been wrecked into two pieces, due to the impact of collision.
Krishna Shivpundi, one of the crew members of the trawler named `Anna Maria`, which had left Cutbona fishing jetty in South Goa last night, claimed that the trawler was illuminated well enough for any ship to know its location, when the accident happened.
Trawler crew members who were brought to safety on the shore were in the water, with their life jackets on, for almost five hours, before the Indian Coast Guard offered them help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket