Six Goa MLAs set for Rs 89 lakh junket to Brazil, Congress complains to PM Modi
Zee Media Bureau/Biplob Ghosal
Panaji: Six Goa MLAs, including three Cabinet ministers, will embark on a journey to Brazil later this month to witness the Fifa World Cup 2014, a news report said on Thursday.
The Goa government led by Manohar Parrikar will shell out Rs 89 lakhs for the foreign junket.
Goa Sports Minister Ramesh Tawadkar, Power Minister Milind Naik, Fisheries Minister Avertano Furtado and three other MLAs - Carlos Almeida, Benjamin Silva and Glen Ticlo from Vasco, Velim and Aldona regions respectively - will be part of the tour, the report said.
However, what is surprising is that no sports person or any `babu` will be part of the delegation.
Meanwhile, Goa Congress has taken strong objection to the foreign junket being sponsored for the BJP MLAs and written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi saying that the tour is being sponsored by tax payers money and asked him to intervene and stop it.
It is being reported that some officers of the Sports Authority of Goa had moved their file and expressed their desire to visit Brazil, but unfortunately the ministers were favoured over them.
The six Goa Cabinet ministers will watch the quarter finals and semi finals of the football World Cup in Maracana, Estadio Castelao, Estadio Mineirao and Arena Corinthians stadiums respectively.
In 2012 four out of the six MLAs had travelled to UK for the FIM World Motocross Championship of Great Britain at Winchester.
Despite protests and controversies in the host nation Brazil, FIFA World Cup is due to begin today with much fanfare and will continue to hog the limelight, all around the globe, for the next one month. The world`s biggest single sporting extravaganza will officially kick-off today when the host nation will lock horns with Croatia in the opening match of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured