Slain Goa fisherwoman may be victim of necrophilia: CM
Panaji: The case of the rape and murder of a 50-year-old fisherwoman in Goa could prima facie be one of necrophilia, where murder was committed first followed by sexual intercourse, Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said Tuesday.
Parrikar was speaking to reporters at his official residence here after the Canacona sub-district, located about 80 km from Panaji, saw three days of protests with the protesters demanding that the murderers of Vijaya Pagi be arrested immediately.
"I am only saying this prima facie. Please do not take this as evidence but it appears that the murder was committed first and was followed by rape. I am feeling pained to even say this," Parrikar said.
Pagi` body was found behind some thickets in Mastimoll area of Canacona. She was a travelling fisherwoman and was last seen with a basket of fish walking towards the deserted area.
Police suspect she was killed with a sharp weapon and said that the gold ornaments she was wearing were not stolen.
"This is a murder by an unknown person. We have some leads, but police have to be allowed to investigate the case. The repeated protests are derailing the investigation," Parrikar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets