Some activists misusing RTI for blackmail: Parrika
Panaji: Some activists are misusing Right to Information Act for "blackmailing", Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has alleged.
"There are instances in the state where RTI has been misused. It has been used to blackmail people," he told the state legislative assembly yesterday while responding to questions raised by the Opposition benches during discussion on demands for grants.
"There are some people who have the habit of blackmailing," he said, referring to the media campaign launched by a social activist during the selection of state information commissioner.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte had demanded that the state government should impose some restrain on RTI activists who were flooding the departments with applications.
Parrikar said such a restrain cannot be imposed. "There are some people who misuse the law but that do not make the law bad. Let us not criticise the law just because some people misuse it," he said.
The Chief Minister said he would be happy if the state government can design a mechanism wherein all official documents are uploaded on website so that people can go through it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?