Some activists misusing RTI for blackmail: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that some of the activists were misusing the Right to Information (RTI) Act for "blackmailing".
"There are instances in the state where RTI has been misused. It has been used to blackmail people," Parrikar said on the floor of the House last night while responding to the questions raised by the Opposition benches during discussion on demands for grants.
"There are some people who have the habit of blackmailing," he said, referring to the media campaign launched by one of the social activist during the selection of state information commissioner.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte had demanded that the state government should impose some restrain on RTI activists who were flooding the departments with applications.
Parrikar said such a restrain cannot be imposed. "There are some people who misuse the law but that do not make the law bad. Let us not criticise the law because some people misuse it," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said he would be happy if the state government can design a mechanism wherein all the official documents are uploaded on the website so that people can go through it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results