Some activists misusing RTI for blackmail: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that some of the activists were misusing the Right to Information (RTI) Act for "blackmailing".
"There are instances in the state where RTI has been misused. It has been used to blackmail people," Parrikar said on the floor of the House last night while responding to the questions raised by the Opposition benches during discussion on demands for grants.
"There are some people who have the habit of blackmailing," he said, referring to the media campaign launched by one of the social activist during the selection of state information commissioner.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte had demanded that the state government should impose some restrain on RTI activists who were flooding the departments with applications.
Parrikar said such a restrain cannot be imposed. "There are some people who misuse the law but that do not make the law bad. Let us not criticise the law because some people misuse it," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said he would be happy if the state government can design a mechanism wherein all the official documents are uploaded on the website so that people can go through it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS