Some activists misusing RTI for blackmail: Parrikar
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar told the state Legislative Assembly that some of the activists were misusing the Right to Information (RTI) Act for "blackmailing".
"There are instances in the state where RTI has been misused. It has been used to blackmail people," Parrikar said on the floor of the House last night while responding to the questions raised by the Opposition benches during discussion on demands for grants.
"There are some people who have the habit of blackmailing," he said, referring to the media campaign launched by one of the social activist during the selection of state information commissioner.
Independent legislator Rohan Khaunte had demanded that the state government should impose some restrain on RTI activists who were flooding the departments with applications.
Parrikar said such a restrain cannot be imposed. "There are some people who misuse the law but that do not make the law bad. Let us not criticise the law because some people misuse it," the Chief Minister said.
Parrikar said he would be happy if the state government can design a mechanism wherein all the official documents are uploaded on the website so that people can go through it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical