Some recommendations of Gadgil panel `extreme`: Goa
Panaji: The Goa government has taken a few objections to Gadgil committee`s report on the Western Ghats, even as it agreed to implement most recommendations.
"Some of the recommendations are extreme, considering the small size of the state," Alina Saldanha, Environment and Forests Minister said.
Among other things, Goa has taken exception to the committee`s recommendation to ban development activity in certain areas, to be reserved as Exclusive Environment Zones.
"If we go on conserving the area as eco-sensitive, then there won`t be much land left for development," Saldanha said, adding that Goa had limited land-mass.
Western Ghats Ecology Experts Panel, headed by National Advisory Council member and ecologist Madhav Gadgil, submitted its report a year ago. Goa government then formed a committee to study the report.
Saldanha said the state government was yet to receive the report of K Kasturirangan committee (formed by Centre) which examined the Gadgil report, but "there are lot of things in (Gadgil) report that we have accepted".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what