Some recommendations of Gadgil panel `extreme`: Goa
Panaji: The Goa government has taken a few objections to Gadgil committee`s report on the Western Ghats, even as it agreed to implement most recommendations.
"Some of the recommendations are extreme, considering the small size of the state," Alina Saldanha, Environment and Forests Minister said.
Among other things, Goa has taken exception to the committee`s recommendation to ban development activity in certain areas, to be reserved as Exclusive Environment Zones.
"If we go on conserving the area as eco-sensitive, then there won`t be much land left for development," Saldanha said, adding that Goa had limited land-mass.
Western Ghats Ecology Experts Panel, headed by National Advisory Council member and ecologist Madhav Gadgil, submitted its report a year ago. Goa government then formed a committee to study the report.
Saldanha said the state government was yet to receive the report of K Kasturirangan committee (formed by Centre) which examined the Gadgil report, but "there are lot of things in (Gadgil) report that we have accepted".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Photo alert! ‘Baazigar’ jodi Shah Rukh Khan-Shilpa Shetty looks like this now
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit
- Struggles never end in life, says Quantico star Priyanka Chopra
- India vs West Indies: List of records broken by Virat Kohli & Co during thumping win in 1st Test