Some recommendations of Gadgil panel `extreme`: Goa
Panaji: The Goa government has taken a few objections to Gadgil committee`s report on the Western Ghats, even as it agreed to implement most recommendations.
"Some of the recommendations are extreme, considering the small size of the state," Alina Saldanha, Environment and Forests Minister said.
Among other things, Goa has taken exception to the committee`s recommendation to ban development activity in certain areas, to be reserved as Exclusive Environment Zones.
"If we go on conserving the area as eco-sensitive, then there won`t be much land left for development," Saldanha said, adding that Goa had limited land-mass.
Western Ghats Ecology Experts Panel, headed by National Advisory Council member and ecologist Madhav Gadgil, submitted its report a year ago. Goa government then formed a committee to study the report.
Saldanha said the state government was yet to receive the report of K Kasturirangan committee (formed by Centre) which examined the Gadgil report, but "there are lot of things in (Gadgil) report that we have accepted".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- This is how Dr APJ Abdul Kalam looked when he was a kid!
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites
- 'Idiots are lined up at every step': Young IAS officer's fight against sexual harassment
- Which Kapoor does Katrina like the most besides beau Ranbir?