Sonia to take decision on Goa legislature leader
Panaji: Still smarting under its recent debacle in Goa polls, opposition Congress has failed to elect its leader for the Assembly leaving the decision to party president Sonia Gandhi.
Senior party leaders Mukul Vasnik and Jagmit Singh Brar held discussions with individual legislators after the Congress Legislative Party (CLP) failed to arrive at a consensus over the leader at its meeting held yesterday evening.
Three CLP members Atanasio Monserratte, Jeniffer Monserrate and Pandurang Madkaikar, did not attend the meeting.
Vasnik said party president Sonia Gandhi would take a call on the issue and will get back to the state leadership.
"CLP has adopted a single line resolution authorising the party president to take decision on the matter," he said.
Former chief minister Digambar Kamat and former speaker of legislative Assembly Pratapsinh Rane are frontrunners for CLP leader`s post. The CLP leader will be the leader of opposition in the Assembly as the Congress was the second largest party after BJP.
Congress will have to decide upon the CLP leader by today afternoon as the state legislative Assembly session is beginning from tomorrow.
Congress suffered reverses at the recently concluded polls winning only 9 seats while BJP emerged as the largest single party lapping up 21 seats in the 40-member House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid