Stranded vessel at beach caused loss upto Rs 21 cr: CAG report
Panaji: A ship that was stranded at Goa`s beach for over 12 years caused erosion of 5,000 square metres resulting in a loss of around Rs 21 crore, according to a CAG report tabled in the state Assembly on Thursday.
The grounding of MV River Princess, charted by M/s Salgaoncar Mining Industries Limited, at Sinquerim beach since June 2000 affected the coastline upto Calangute, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report has pointed out.
"As the sand dunes which formed a protective cover to the land were washed away, the land measuring 5,000 square metre along the beach stretch valued at approximately Rs 21 crore was eroded," the CAG has said.
The vessel, which was broken into pieces and carried away last year, had run aground for almost 12 years.
"The Sinquerim beach became almost desolate for beach tourism during the intervening period and the reported financial losses on account of reduced occupancy in the hotels and reduction in tourist arrivals was estimated at Rs 17 crore," the report adds.
The CAG report has said that as a permanent measure to protect the land from sea erosion, the PWD finalised a tender for construction of revetments at the cost of Rs 38.87 crore, which was not awarded as of August 2012.
"The revetment consisting of heavy boulders, concrete blocks and tetrapods would kill the aesthetic beauty of Sinquerim beach and there is a possibility of it becoming unsuitable for tourism," the CAG has noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31