Stranded vessel at beach caused loss upto Rs 21 cr: CAG report
Panaji: A ship that was stranded at Goa`s beach for over 12 years caused erosion of 5,000 square metres resulting in a loss of around Rs 21 crore, according to a CAG report tabled in the state Assembly on Thursday.
The grounding of MV River Princess, charted by M/s Salgaoncar Mining Industries Limited, at Sinquerim beach since June 2000 affected the coastline upto Calangute, the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report has pointed out.
"As the sand dunes which formed a protective cover to the land were washed away, the land measuring 5,000 square metre along the beach stretch valued at approximately Rs 21 crore was eroded," the CAG has said.
The vessel, which was broken into pieces and carried away last year, had run aground for almost 12 years.
"The Sinquerim beach became almost desolate for beach tourism during the intervening period and the reported financial losses on account of reduced occupancy in the hotels and reduction in tourist arrivals was estimated at Rs 17 crore," the report adds.
The CAG report has said that as a permanent measure to protect the land from sea erosion, the PWD finalised a tender for construction of revetments at the cost of Rs 38.87 crore, which was not awarded as of August 2012.
"The revetment consisting of heavy boulders, concrete blocks and tetrapods would kill the aesthetic beauty of Sinquerim beach and there is a possibility of it becoming unsuitable for tourism," the CAG has noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical