Sub-Inspector faces action as drugs turn medicine in Goa raid
Panaji: The drugs detected in a raid
conducted in Goa last year turned out to be a medicinal
substance, prompting the state Anti Narcotic Cell (ANC) to
initiate an inquiry into the matter.
ANC officials said the department issued show cause
notice to police Sub Inspector Punaji Gawas who had arrested
accused Tej Singh for possessing heroin on February 10, 2009.
The Sub Inspector was actually rewarded for the catch
and later found himself in a messy situation after Hyderabad-
based forensic laboratory reported that the confiscated
substance was not heroin but `acetaminophen` and `caffeine`.
Police said that the Sub Inspector, who claimed that
he "smelt" the substance to confirm it before booking the case
against the accused, has been served show cause notice by his
"As per my previous experience in narcotic drugs, the
suspected powder was verified by smell. It was emanating a
typical odour and accordingly I acted," Sub Inspector Gawas
said in his response to the show cause notice.
The incident has also brought to light fallacious
claims of Director General of Police B S Bassi that "drug
detection kits" are readily available with the ANC to confirm
the drugs seized during raids.
The Sub Inspector`s explanation to the show cause
notice also said that the drug detection kits available with
ANC had expired.
"The Anti Narcotic Cell police station superintendent
on January 29, 2009 had requested the Narcotic Control Bureau
(NCB) Mumbai Zonal Director to supply another set of drug
detection kits," he said.
The affairs in the state`s ANC were recently exposed
after an Israeli drug dealer was caught on a hidden camera
bragging about his association with the officers in this cell.
Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat had announced
suspension of Police Inspector Ashish Shirodkar, a head
constable and three constables for their alleged links with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey