Sub-Inspector faces action as drugs turn medicine in Goa raid
Panaji: The drugs detected in a raid
conducted in Goa last year turned out to be a medicinal
substance, prompting the state Anti Narcotic Cell (ANC) to
initiate an inquiry into the matter.
ANC officials said the department issued show cause
notice to police Sub Inspector Punaji Gawas who had arrested
accused Tej Singh for possessing heroin on February 10, 2009.
The Sub Inspector was actually rewarded for the catch
and later found himself in a messy situation after Hyderabad-
based forensic laboratory reported that the confiscated
substance was not heroin but `acetaminophen` and `caffeine`.
Police said that the Sub Inspector, who claimed that
he "smelt" the substance to confirm it before booking the case
against the accused, has been served show cause notice by his
"As per my previous experience in narcotic drugs, the
suspected powder was verified by smell. It was emanating a
typical odour and accordingly I acted," Sub Inspector Gawas
said in his response to the show cause notice.
The incident has also brought to light fallacious
claims of Director General of Police B S Bassi that "drug
detection kits" are readily available with the ANC to confirm
the drugs seized during raids.
The Sub Inspector`s explanation to the show cause
notice also said that the drug detection kits available with
ANC had expired.
"The Anti Narcotic Cell police station superintendent
on January 29, 2009 had requested the Narcotic Control Bureau
(NCB) Mumbai Zonal Director to supply another set of drug
detection kits," he said.
The affairs in the state`s ANC were recently exposed
after an Israeli drug dealer was caught on a hidden camera
bragging about his association with the officers in this cell.
Goa Chief Minister Digamber Kamat had announced
suspension of Police Inspector Ashish Shirodkar, a head
constable and three constables for their alleged links with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’