Suspected drug peddlers beat up policeman in Goa
Panaji: A police constable associated with
Anti Narcotic Cell (ANC) was on Tuesday severely beaten up by
suspected drug peddlers here, police said.
Constable Mahabaleshwar Sawant was grievously hurt when
he was hit with hockey sticks by a group, suspected to be
selling drugs at Calangute Beach, they said.
Sawant, reportedly, had gone to a shack along with an
informer to verify a tip off about drug peddling there, they
"As the informer went in, he was chased out by the group
which assaulted him. When Sawant intervened and identified
himself as a policeman, the group bashed up him up too. He
was later shifted to a private hospital in Mapusa town,"
In retaliation, ANC sub-inspector Sunil Gudlar allegedly
assaulted several people at the shack, they said.
Calangute Police has registered a complaint by Sawant
against the group present in the shack and also a counter
complaint against Gudlar for hitting them.
To a question as to why ANC did not raid the place after
receiving the information, police said, "Superintendent of
Police (North) Arvind Gawas has initiated an inquiry into the
Recently seven policemen, formerly attached to ANC and
Crime Branch, were arrested for their alleged links with
Israeli drug peddlers in Goa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH