Suspended Goa Mines official commits suicide
Panaji: A senior officer with the Goa Mines Department, who was recently suspended following the Shah Commission report, on Friday committed suicide here, police said.
Assistant Geologist Dattatraya Bhave, who was suspended along with five other officials on September 7, hung himself at his residence in Ponda town, they said.
According to his family, Bhave was humiliated, mentally tortured and harassed by the department after the suspension, which forced him to take the extreme step.
Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said he has asked local deputy collector to initiate an inquiry into the suicide.
"I am pained with the loss of officers. Suspension does not mean punishment. We have kept these officers away because they should not be tampering with the evidence," he said.
The Goa government, after suspending the licences of all the mining leases on recommendations of the Commission, had put six senior officials from state Mines and Geology department under suspension.
All the officers were asked to report at the South Goa collector`s office in Margao city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron