‘Take local resistance to Mopa airport into account’
Panaji: Opposition by locals should also be
taken into consideration besides other yardsticks before the
construction of greenfield airport at Mopa in North Goa, a
senior official said here on Thursday.
"It is not just the distance or other aspects but also
dissent of the people should be considered while constructing
Mopa airport," said Nirmal Andrews, Former Chairman, Projects
Assessment and Appraisal Committee (Infrastructure and
Miscellenous projects), Union Environment and Forest Ministry.
The Greenfield airport planned at Mopa village in North
Goa has met opposition from locals, who have complained of
losing their orchids to this project.
Andrews said MOEF will have to take into account views of
the local government while planning airports like Mopa and has
to address the resistance of locals.
Goa government has already began land acquisition process
for this airport, which will be the second airstrip in the
state, bordering Maharashtra.
"The airport has to be environment friendly, people
should be keen about it and also it should use clean energy
resources," Andrews said.
The former MoEF Joint Secretary who headed the ministry’s
appraisal committee till last year was in Goa to participate
for the `Indo-French Seminar on Sustainable Tourism` organised
by Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
He said the state government should assess how much land
they require for the construction of the airport.
Andrews also said banning of sand mining in Goa under
recent Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) 2011 was required to
"Sand mining will ruin CRZ areas. The state government
should find an alternate for sand, if it thinks that the
construction industry would be affected," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Matt Damon is back, check out terrific 'Jason Bourne' poster!
- '4 am airport spotting', Neha Dhupia slays in Sepia!-- See pic
- Chinese President Xi Jinping urges caution over US missile deployment in South Korea
- 7th Pay Commission: Auto makers expect spurt in sales
- 'Star Trek Beyond' to hit Indian screens on July 22!