Tarun Tejpal case to be fast tracked: Parrikar
New Delhi: Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a journalist woman colleague, will be tried in a fast track court by a female judge, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar said Thursday.
Responding to a question at Aaj Tak Agenda, he said, "Tejpal will be tried in a fast track court. We will follow the Supreme Court`s guidelines and have a female judge in this case."
He said, "Justice delayed is justice denied" and speedy justice should be given in all the cases. He also noted that the state has a record of just a few backlog of cases.
Tejpal is currently in Goa police`s custody for allegedly raping his employee last month.
He said despite Tejpal`s sting operations that badly hit the BJP, he will not be treated in a "wrong way".
When asked on why did he choose to tell the media that probe will be conducted in a fair manner and without interference, he said he was merely replying to media questions.
"This is a matter of criminal investigation. Its not my habit to interfere in criminal investigation," Parrikar said.
"I will see to it that justice is given to the girl. No one be worried that Tejpal, just because of his earlier background, will be treated in a wrong way or a different way."
Tehelka`s sting operation had led to the resignation of then BJP president Bangaru Laxman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read