Tehelka case: Goa police may file chargesheet by Jan end
Panaji: Goa police are expected to sum up their investigations in the sexual assault case allegedly involving Tehelka founder editor Tarun Tejpal and file a charge sheet by this month end, an official said here on Sunday.
"The investigations in the case are almost in the final stage," the senior crime branch official told a news agency.
"We are waiting for the forensic report of the gadgets seized from Tejpal. The charge sheet would be filed by this month end," he said.
The crime branch during its investigation had seized gadgets like mobile, laptop of Tejpal which were used to communicate, after the alleged offence took place.
Tejpal (50) was arrested on November 30 in Goa after his anticipatory bail plea was rejected by a district and sessions court.
A former junior woman journalist of the Tehelka magazine had alleged that Tejpal had sexually assaulted her inside the lift of a five-star hotel during an event in Goa last year.
The investigating officer has already recorded several statements, including that of former Tehelka managing editor Shoma Chaudhury and Tejpal`s daughter, along with the deposition of the victim in connection with the case.
"The statements of the five-star hotel staff who were on duty during the time when the incident allegedly happened are also recorded. The recordings completed last week itself," the official said.
The crime branch officials expect to file a "water tight" case against Tejpal, who is currently lodged in Sada sub jail after the local court rejected his bail and continued with the judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports