Tehelka case: Tejpal seeks in-camera hearing of bail plea
Panaji: Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a woman journalist, on Thursday filed an application before a local court demanding an in-camera hearing of his bail petition.
Tejpal`s lawyer moved the application for in-camera hearing before the district and sessions court when the case was on board for arguments on his bail plea.
The arguments on his petition asking for an in-camera hearing were heard today and the court will announce its verdict tomorrow. The court will subsequently hear his bail petition.
50-year-old Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a former junior woman colleague in a hotel here in early November, was arrested by Goa Police on November 30.
He has been booked under IPC sections including 354-A (sexual harassment, physical contact, advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures, or any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature), 376 (rape) and 376 (2)(k) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position).
The journalist is currently lodged in Sada sub-jail.
A local court had on December 23 extended the judicial custody of Tejpal for 12 days after his initial custody expired.
His lawyers had also moved a petition before the district court seeking his bail stating that "the accused has not been questioned by police since he was lodged in the judicial custody".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata