Tehelka case: Tejpal seeks in-camera hearing of bail plea
Panaji: Tehelka editor Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a woman journalist, on Thursday filed an application before a local court demanding an in-camera hearing of his bail petition.
Tejpal`s lawyer moved the application for in-camera hearing before the district and sessions court when the case was on board for arguments on his bail plea.
The arguments on his petition asking for an in-camera hearing were heard today and the court will announce its verdict tomorrow. The court will subsequently hear his bail petition.
50-year-old Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a former junior woman colleague in a hotel here in early November, was arrested by Goa Police on November 30.
He has been booked under IPC sections including 354-A (sexual harassment, physical contact, advances involving unwelcome and explicit sexual overtures, or any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbal conduct of sexual nature), 376 (rape) and 376 (2)(k) (rape by a person of a woman in his custody taking advantage of his official position).
The journalist is currently lodged in Sada sub-jail.
A local court had on December 23 extended the judicial custody of Tejpal for 12 days after his initial custody expired.
His lawyers had also moved a petition before the district court seeking his bail stating that "the accused has not been questioned by police since he was lodged in the judicial custody".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert