The story of St Estevam, the Goan island
St Estevam (Goa): For islanders, getting married within their village is not only a `sacrosanct` tradition that has to be followed, but has also been a way of life for over centuries.
Though modernisation has dented this tradition a bit, the villagers still prefer to get their daughters walk down the aisle within the village, owing mostly to historical reasons.
Situated just 30 km away from vibrant Panaji, the "isle of vegetables" as St Estevam is called in the local parlance, has been holding on to the unique legacy of getting their wards married within the village.
However, vegetable cultivation is now on wane as youngsters in this Catholic-dominated settlement prefer jobs on ship to working in traditional agricultural sector.
Interestingly, St Estevam and its villagers are considered as the `richest in Goa` as every family has its male member employed on board of ship.
However, the 4600-odd Catholic community here has kept the tradition alive.
"May be because this is an island that`s why people remained cut off from the outside world and hence they began this tradition," says Sebastian Rangel, a former employee of Mumbai Port Trust (MPT), now retired and back in the village.
Rangel himself entered into a wedlock with a girl from the village, way back in 70s.
The picturesque island, known for its serenity and historical heritage, is locked with Mandovi river from its sides and was connected to the mainstream by construction of a bridge only in 80s.
Before that people used to travel here in canoes and later in motorised ferry boats.
Priscilla Menezes from the village has her own take on the tradition.
"The village is small so girls and boys tend to fall in love with each other during their schooling. Later they get married during their marriageable age," says Menezes, who runs a general store shop in the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video