Those causing illegal mining to flourish must be punished: MP
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa on Saturday demanded stern action against officials of central and state government agencies who helped perpetrate illegal mining in the state.
Fransisco Sardinha told mediapersons here that officials from the state and central government agencies, who refused to act against illegal mining, should be punished.
Sardinha said the mess in the mining sector was only because of the "greed" of a few people which has now made those dependent on the mining industry suffer.
He pointed out that Justice M B Shah Commission in its report has clearly accused Union Ministry of Environment and Forest, Union Mines Ministry and State Mines and Geology department for the mess, leading to illegal mining in the state between 2006-2011.
Asked whether State Mines Minister Digambar Kamat who was held responsible for illegal mining by Shah Commission should be punished, Sardinha said whoever is directly responsible for allowing illegalities in mining sector should be punished.
The Congress leader said the BJP-led government in Goa should have solved the issue which is lingering over a year now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof