Those causing illegal mining to flourish must be punished: MP
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa on Saturday demanded stern action against officials of central and state government agencies who helped perpetrate illegal mining in the state.
Fransisco Sardinha told mediapersons here that officials from the state and central government agencies, who refused to act against illegal mining, should be punished.
Sardinha said the mess in the mining sector was only because of the "greed" of a few people which has now made those dependent on the mining industry suffer.
He pointed out that Justice M B Shah Commission in its report has clearly accused Union Ministry of Environment and Forest, Union Mines Ministry and State Mines and Geology department for the mess, leading to illegal mining in the state between 2006-2011.
Asked whether State Mines Minister Digambar Kamat who was held responsible for illegal mining by Shah Commission should be punished, Sardinha said whoever is directly responsible for allowing illegalities in mining sector should be punished.
The Congress leader said the BJP-led government in Goa should have solved the issue which is lingering over a year now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi