Those causing illegal mining to flourish must be punished: MP
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa on Saturday demanded stern action against officials of central and state government agencies who helped perpetrate illegal mining in the state.
Fransisco Sardinha told mediapersons here that officials from the state and central government agencies, who refused to act against illegal mining, should be punished.
Sardinha said the mess in the mining sector was only because of the "greed" of a few people which has now made those dependent on the mining industry suffer.
He pointed out that Justice M B Shah Commission in its report has clearly accused Union Ministry of Environment and Forest, Union Mines Ministry and State Mines and Geology department for the mess, leading to illegal mining in the state between 2006-2011.
Asked whether State Mines Minister Digambar Kamat who was held responsible for illegal mining by Shah Commission should be punished, Sardinha said whoever is directly responsible for allowing illegalities in mining sector should be punished.
The Congress leader said the BJP-led government in Goa should have solved the issue which is lingering over a year now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report