Those causing illegal mining to flourish must be punished: MP
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa on Saturday demanded stern action against officials of central and state government agencies who helped perpetrate illegal mining in the state.
Fransisco Sardinha told mediapersons here that officials from the state and central government agencies, who refused to act against illegal mining, should be punished.
Sardinha said the mess in the mining sector was only because of the "greed" of a few people which has now made those dependent on the mining industry suffer.
He pointed out that Justice M B Shah Commission in its report has clearly accused Union Ministry of Environment and Forest, Union Mines Ministry and State Mines and Geology department for the mess, leading to illegal mining in the state between 2006-2011.
Asked whether State Mines Minister Digambar Kamat who was held responsible for illegal mining by Shah Commission should be punished, Sardinha said whoever is directly responsible for allowing illegalities in mining sector should be punished.
The Congress leader said the BJP-led government in Goa should have solved the issue which is lingering over a year now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'