Those causing illegal mining to flourish must be punished: MP
Panaji: A Congress MP from Goa on Saturday demanded stern action against officials of central and state government agencies who helped perpetrate illegal mining in the state.
Fransisco Sardinha told mediapersons here that officials from the state and central government agencies, who refused to act against illegal mining, should be punished.
Sardinha said the mess in the mining sector was only because of the "greed" of a few people which has now made those dependent on the mining industry suffer.
He pointed out that Justice M B Shah Commission in its report has clearly accused Union Ministry of Environment and Forest, Union Mines Ministry and State Mines and Geology department for the mess, leading to illegal mining in the state between 2006-2011.
Asked whether State Mines Minister Digambar Kamat who was held responsible for illegal mining by Shah Commission should be punished, Sardinha said whoever is directly responsible for allowing illegalities in mining sector should be punished.
The Congress leader said the BJP-led government in Goa should have solved the issue which is lingering over a year now.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane