Three BJP leaders arrested for violence
Panaji: Two BJP legislators and a former minister were on Friday arrested in connection with violence in Goa`s tribal areas in May, officials said.
Sanguem legislator Vasudev Meng Gaonkar, Ponguinim legislator Ramesh Tawadkar and former BJP minister Prakash Velip were arrested for attempt to murder and rioting, Crime Branch officials said.
The three leaders were leading the protest outside the crime branch office here today against the arrest of two tribal leaders Mhalu Velip and Govind Gawade two months back.
All the three leaders were put under arrest when they went to crime branch as part of a delegation to put forth their demands, the officials said.
The tribals under the banner of United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) were protesting in Balli on May 25 for reservation in government jobs when rioting took place.
Two tribals were burnt to death in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...