Three BJP leaders arrested for violence
Panaji: Two BJP legislators and a former minister were on Friday arrested in connection with violence in Goa`s tribal areas in May, officials said.
Sanguem legislator Vasudev Meng Gaonkar, Ponguinim legislator Ramesh Tawadkar and former BJP minister Prakash Velip were arrested for attempt to murder and rioting, Crime Branch officials said.
The three leaders were leading the protest outside the crime branch office here today against the arrest of two tribal leaders Mhalu Velip and Govind Gawade two months back.
All the three leaders were put under arrest when they went to crime branch as part of a delegation to put forth their demands, the officials said.
The tribals under the banner of United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) were protesting in Balli on May 25 for reservation in government jobs when rioting took place.
Two tribals were burnt to death in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video row: Speaker Mahajan hints at action even as Bhagwant Mann apologies
- Pakistan-origin British boxer Amir Khan says he will ruin Vijender Singh's career...
- Nearly 3,000 dead already in Mediterranean this year- International Organization for Migration
- Dayashankar slur row: Now, FIR filed against Mayawati, other BSP leaders
- Pakistani model Qandeel Baloch's father wants son to be 'shot'