Three BJP leaders arrested for violence
Panaji: Two BJP legislators and a former minister were on Friday arrested in connection with violence in Goa`s tribal areas in May, officials said.
Sanguem legislator Vasudev Meng Gaonkar, Ponguinim legislator Ramesh Tawadkar and former BJP minister Prakash Velip were arrested for attempt to murder and rioting, Crime Branch officials said.
The three leaders were leading the protest outside the crime branch office here today against the arrest of two tribal leaders Mhalu Velip and Govind Gawade two months back.
All the three leaders were put under arrest when they went to crime branch as part of a delegation to put forth their demands, the officials said.
The tribals under the banner of United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) were protesting in Balli on May 25 for reservation in government jobs when rioting took place.
Two tribals were burnt to death in the agitation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan