Three BJP leaders arrested for violence
Panaji: Two BJP legislators and a former minister were on Friday arrested in connection with violence in Goa`s tribal areas in May, officials said.
Sanguem legislator Vasudev Meng Gaonkar, Ponguinim legislator Ramesh Tawadkar and former BJP minister Prakash Velip were arrested for attempt to murder and rioting, Crime Branch officials said.
The three leaders were leading the protest outside the crime branch office here today against the arrest of two tribal leaders Mhalu Velip and Govind Gawade two months back.
All the three leaders were put under arrest when they went to crime branch as part of a delegation to put forth their demands, the officials said.
The tribals under the banner of United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) were protesting in Balli on May 25 for reservation in government jobs when rioting took place.
Two tribals were burnt to death in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan