Three BJP leaders arrested for violence
Panaji: Two BJP legislators and a former minister were on Friday arrested in connection with violence in Goa`s tribal areas in May, officials said.
Sanguem legislator Vasudev Meng Gaonkar, Ponguinim legislator Ramesh Tawadkar and former BJP minister Prakash Velip were arrested for attempt to murder and rioting, Crime Branch officials said.
The three leaders were leading the protest outside the crime branch office here today against the arrest of two tribal leaders Mhalu Velip and Govind Gawade two months back.
All the three leaders were put under arrest when they went to crime branch as part of a delegation to put forth their demands, the officials said.
The tribals under the banner of United Tribal Association Alliance (UTAA) were protesting in Balli on May 25 for reservation in government jobs when rioting took place.
Two tribals were burnt to death in the agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what