Three held at Goa airport for trying to smuggle 28 gold bars
Panaji: Three Tamil Nadu residents were on Thursday detained at the Goa international airport here for trying to smuggle goldbars worth Rs 87 lakh into the country.
About 28 gold bars of 100 gram each were seized from the accused--Rukman Ameedu, Hyder Ali and Sayyed Mohammad-- who were carrying it in a fruit juice pack, Customs and Central Excise department officials said.
The air intelligence wing of the department conducted the searches.
The trio, which had arrived on Air India flight from Dubai were detained after they were found with the smuggled gold.
Officials said initially the detention was done after Ameedu was found suspiciously roaming around with the pack of fruit juice in his hand. The search uncovered gold.
During the initial interrogation, Ameedu confessed of carrying 2.8 kilogram of gold along with two other persons.
The second detention was done immediately, wherein gold hidden by Hyder Ali was confiscated. Third accused Sayyed Mohammad, who was also carrying gold, was detained further for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred