Three held at Goa airport for trying to smuggle 28 gold bars
Panaji: Three Tamil Nadu residents were on Thursday detained at the Goa international airport here for trying to smuggle goldbars worth Rs 87 lakh into the country.
About 28 gold bars of 100 gram each were seized from the accused--Rukman Ameedu, Hyder Ali and Sayyed Mohammad-- who were carrying it in a fruit juice pack, Customs and Central Excise department officials said.
The air intelligence wing of the department conducted the searches.
The trio, which had arrived on Air India flight from Dubai were detained after they were found with the smuggled gold.
Officials said initially the detention was done after Ameedu was found suspiciously roaming around with the pack of fruit juice in his hand. The search uncovered gold.
During the initial interrogation, Ameedu confessed of carrying 2.8 kilogram of gold along with two other persons.
The second detention was done immediately, wherein gold hidden by Hyder Ali was confiscated. Third accused Sayyed Mohammad, who was also carrying gold, was detained further for interrogation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured