Three more fishermen`s bodies found off Goa coast after mishap
Panaji: The joint search operation by the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard on Sunday recovered three more bodies of fishermen who had drowned after their trawler was hit by a Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel on April 25.
"Three more bodies of fishermen who were on board fishing trawler `Sea Messiah` which capsized after being hit by Indian Coast Guard offshore patrol vessel `ICG Vaibhav`, were recovered from around where the accident happened," Goa region`s Indian Coast Guard Commander S D Bhanot told PTI today.
He said that a fleet of six ships three each of the Indian Navy and Indian Coast Guard, besides a Dornier aircraft and a Chetak helicopter, is still searching for two fishermen who are still missing.
"The search is in full swing," Commander Bhanot said.
With the recovery of three bodies, the total number of casualties in the mishap has gone reached four, after one body was recovered on the day of the accident.
Officials stated that 23 fishermen were on board, of which six went missing, while the rest were saved by another fishing trawler.
The Indian Coast Guard has already initiated a Board of Inquiry into the accident, whose report will be submitted soon, Commander Bhanot said.
Meanwhile, the Goa police have already registered a case in this regard, but events took another twist when police officials from Mumbai`s Yellow Gate police station arrived in Goa on Saturday to investigate the incident.
Indian Coast Guard officials had earlier stated that the accident happened 13 nautical miles off the Agonda coast in Goa`s southernmost Canacona taluka.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had expressed his helplessness to book the Coast Guard official reportedly responsible for the offence, as the accident happened outside state waters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister