Tillari stalemate ends after Sharad Pawar`s intervention
Panaji: The water from Tillari Irrigation Project has finally reached Goa, after a dry spell of almost three weeks which affected large tracts of farmlands in the state.
The stalemate over releasing water ended after Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar intervened in the matter on Tuesday and convinced the agitators blocking the release of water from a canal in Maharashtra`s Sindhudurg district to call off their protest.
NCP MLA Dipak Kesarkar from Sawantwadi had requested Pawar to intervene in the matter.
The sit-in protest was held over alleged non-fulfillment of promises on rehabilitation made by the Goa government to the affected people during construction of the irrigation project, which runs through both the states.
According to agitators, the Manohar Parrikar government has assured them of giving government jobs as part of the rehabilitation package.
As soon as the protesters withdrew their agitation, water was immediately released in the canal which reached Goa last evening.
Ghanashyam Raut, Sarpanch from Sal village, where maximum farmers are dependent on this irrigation project, said they heaved a sigh of relief after water reached the canal.
"There were worries that entire crop of sugarcane and banana would be destroyed due to scarcity of water. The things will be normal now", he said.
Although agitators have temporarily withdrawn the protest, the issue will be raised again in January 18 meeting of Tillari Irrigation Development Board in which officials from Goa and Maharashtra would participate.
Tillari dam is constructed on Tillari river as the result of a joint project by the Maharashtra and Goa governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state