Time to stop mega housing projects: Goa minister
Panaji: The time has come to stop mega housing projects in Goa, because the state may not be in a position to provide water to all its residents in the near future, Goa Forest and Environment Minister Alina Saldanha said Monday.
Saldanha was speaking at a green workshop in the state capital.
"We are shocked by the number of mega projects in this south Goa village, with 100 flats and more coming up. We love everybody, but there`s a point when we have to say `no`. Would we have water to give all these people?" Saldanha asked, as the state has been battling pollution of its water sources thanks to mining and haphazard development along the coastline.
Apart from some parts of two important cities, which include the capital, the state, which is becoming increasingly urban, does not have a sewerage system which can collect and treat the waste generated.
"This kind of development will have to stop soon. Goa`s unique identity may be dissolved entirely," said Saldanha, who has been one of the key proponents of the special status for Goa campaign.
The special status would allow only local residents to buy land in the state.
Real estate prices in the beach tourism state of Goa have sky-rocketed, with coastal areas being promoted as settings for swanky luxury abodes and second homes for investment.
Several politicians and bureaucrats have been linked to both local and national real estate groups who have been accused of hogging huge tracts of land across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'