Tourism dept to undertake mechanised cleaning of Goa beaches
Panaji: Goa tourism department will begin the mechanised cleaning of various beaches on experimental basis from next week onward.
A high-level committee chaired by Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar here today approved the tender of Mumbai-based firm Ram Engineering for the task of mechanised cleaning of beaches in the state.
Tourism Minister Dilip Parulekar told, initially, few beaches would be taken up for cleaning, before extending it to all the shorelines.
He said that several NGOs had petitioned government that mechanised beach cleaning would damage the ecology on the beaches.
"We want to rule out the apprehensions raised by the NGOs. We will go ahead with the contract, when they (NGOs) are satisfied," Parulekar said.
In the meeting held at Porvorim near here, it was decided that different kind of machines would be tried, and the best one would be used for beach cleanliness purpose.
"The trials would be conducted at Baga and Calangute beaches. Couple of companies which will be displaying their various beach cleaning equipments but the final call on the equipments to be used, would be taken after a month," Parulekar said.
In another decision, five hotels run by Goa tourism development corporation (GTDC) will be upgraded to five-star standard, he said.
"The need of hour is to upgrade our facilities. We have decided that Miramar, Mayem, Brittona and Colva residency would be upgraded into five star resorts," the minister added.
The department has also planned an oceanarium project to developed alongside Miramar residency, near Panaji.
"This would be unique project, wherein the oceanarium would be located below the hotel," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray