Transporters begin strike against entry fee in Goa
Panaji: The goods and passenger transporters began their indefinite strike boycotting Goa operations from Sunday night, although the supplies of essential commodities were not affected on the first day of the stir.
All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) members stopped plying the trucks and buses to Goa since last mid night protesting the entry fee levied by the government on the vehicles entering the state.
AIMTC president Bal Malkit Singh told PTI today that the trucks were lined up on all the borders leading to Goa. "Not a single truck belonging to the members has entered the border," he claimed.
The supplies of essential commodities are going to be affected in the state with the continuation of the strike, he said.
The levy of entry fee is going to further tax the common man. "Our demand is that the fee should be withdrawn so that the common man is not taxed," Singh added.
Even as the stir began since midnight, the supplies of essential commodities like milk, vegetable and grocery remained normal in the markets of Goa.
State-run Goa Horticulture Development Corporation has managed to bring in the vegetables from Belgaum, which is the traditional supply market for the state.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had yesterday decided not to withdraw the entry fee, which is required for upkeeping of the infrastructure facilities in the state.
The entry fee of Rs 1,000 is levied on the heavy goods vehicles entering the state from April 15.
The state government has exempted the vehicles from Kolhapur, Sindhudurg, Belgaum and Karwar from paying the fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing