Transporters begin strike against entry fee in Goa
Panaji: The goods and passenger transporters began their indefinite strike boycotting Goa operations from Sunday night, although the supplies of essential commodities were not affected on the first day of the stir.
All India Motor Transport Congress (AIMTC) members stopped plying the trucks and buses to Goa since last mid night protesting the entry fee levied by the government on the vehicles entering the state.
AIMTC president Bal Malkit Singh told PTI today that the trucks were lined up on all the borders leading to Goa. "Not a single truck belonging to the members has entered the border," he claimed.
The supplies of essential commodities are going to be affected in the state with the continuation of the strike, he said.
The levy of entry fee is going to further tax the common man. "Our demand is that the fee should be withdrawn so that the common man is not taxed," Singh added.
Even as the stir began since midnight, the supplies of essential commodities like milk, vegetable and grocery remained normal in the markets of Goa.
State-run Goa Horticulture Development Corporation has managed to bring in the vegetables from Belgaum, which is the traditional supply market for the state.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar had yesterday decided not to withdraw the entry fee, which is required for upkeeping of the infrastructure facilities in the state.
The entry fee of Rs 1,000 is levied on the heavy goods vehicles entering the state from April 15.
The state government has exempted the vehicles from Kolhapur, Sindhudurg, Belgaum and Karwar from paying the fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi