Two Goa cops suspended for extorting money
Panaji: Two Goa Police constables were
suspended for extorting money from Bangalore based students,
who were holidaying in the state following Diwali vacations.
Constables Mahesh Mayekar and Krishna Palyekar were
suspended yesterday after they were identified by a group of
students, from whom money was extorted at Calangute beach.
According to the students, the incident happened during
Diwali vacations when they were taking a stroll on the beach.
Both the constables who were on a patrol in the area
intercepted the group and frisked them.
"When they could not find anything, the constables began
asking for money from the students. Their demand began with Rs
50,000 and later settled on Rs 3,000," a senior police officer
said confirming the suspension.
The group later informed their parents back in Bangalore
who followed up the case with Superintendent of Police (North)
An identification parade was conducted during which the
students recognised the accused cops.
While the students left Goa on October 28, the Director
General of Police Aditya Arya commissioned an enquiry into the
incident suspending both the duo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?