Two Goa cops suspended for extorting money
Panaji: Two Goa Police constables were
suspended for extorting money from Bangalore based students,
who were holidaying in the state following Diwali vacations.
Constables Mahesh Mayekar and Krishna Palyekar were
suspended yesterday after they were identified by a group of
students, from whom money was extorted at Calangute beach.
According to the students, the incident happened during
Diwali vacations when they were taking a stroll on the beach.
Both the constables who were on a patrol in the area
intercepted the group and frisked them.
"When they could not find anything, the constables began
asking for money from the students. Their demand began with Rs
50,000 and later settled on Rs 3,000," a senior police officer
said confirming the suspension.
The group later informed their parents back in Bangalore
who followed up the case with Superintendent of Police (North)
An identification parade was conducted during which the
students recognised the accused cops.
While the students left Goa on October 28, the Director
General of Police Aditya Arya commissioned an enquiry into the
incident suspending both the duo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range