Two Goa mines to shut down operations
Panaji: Two open-cast iron ore mines operating within a short distance of a wildlife sanctuary in Goa have been asked to shut down operations by the Union Ministry for Environment and Forests.
The ministry on Wednesday issued notices to the two mining firms and gave them 15 days to respond as to why their operations should not be shut down in the face of their failure to get a clearance from the National Wildlife Board (NWB).
The mines are located close to the Bhagwaan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary, about 85 km south of Panaji, which is home to the Indian bison, a protected species.
The NWB clearance is necessary for mines operating in forest area and in close proximity of wildlife reserves.
The mines in question, which have been issued order under Section 5 of the Environment Protection Act of 1986, are being operated by firms Pandurang Timblo Industries and Gangadhar Agarwal.
The issue involving mining near wildlife reserves was hotly debated in the recently concluded Monsoon Session of the Goa Assembly.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has assured the House that no forest land would be converted in favour of expanding existing mining concessions or new mining leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers