Two Goa mines to shut down operations
Panaji: Two open-cast iron ore mines operating within a short distance of a wildlife sanctuary in Goa have been asked to shut down operations by the Union Ministry for Environment and Forests.
The ministry on Wednesday issued notices to the two mining firms and gave them 15 days to respond as to why their operations should not be shut down in the face of their failure to get a clearance from the National Wildlife Board (NWB).
The mines are located close to the Bhagwaan Mahaveer Wildlife Sanctuary, about 85 km south of Panaji, which is home to the Indian bison, a protected species.
The NWB clearance is necessary for mines operating in forest area and in close proximity of wildlife reserves.
The mines in question, which have been issued order under Section 5 of the Environment Protection Act of 1986, are being operated by firms Pandurang Timblo Industries and Gangadhar Agarwal.
The issue involving mining near wildlife reserves was hotly debated in the recently concluded Monsoon Session of the Goa Assembly.
Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has assured the House that no forest land would be converted in favour of expanding existing mining concessions or new mining leases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!