Two Goa officials booked for graft in irrigation work
Panaji: Two officials of Goa`s water resources and accounts departments have been booked under the Prevention of Corruption Act for allowing a Gujarat-based firm to fraudulently access a hefty bank guarantee, an official said on Friday.
The private firm was allowed the access even before executing a contract for constructing an embankment for an irrigation canal, the official said.
The complaint was filed by Chief Engineer ST Nadkarni on Friday and dates to a contract tendered in 2008, when a Congress-led coalition government was in power in the state.
"The accused, executive engineer Gururaj Bhagwat and divisional accountant Tulsidas Narvekar, helped Gujarat-based Ketan Construction Pvt Ltd by releasing a bank guarantee worth Rs 2.57 crore before completion of the work," an Anti-Corruption Bureau official said.
Bank guarantees are a pre-condition in a tendering process, and enable the government`s tendering agencies to use operational leverage to get quality work done by contractors who win bids.
The bank guarantees are returned to vendors on the completion of work, as per the satisfaction of the tendering agency, but can be withdrawn and deposited in government treasury if the executed work is faulty and not up to the standard.
The construction of the embankment on the left bank of the Tillari irrigation canal in north Goa, which had been assigned to Ketan Construction, caved in time and again over the last three years, halting water distribution and putting farmers dependant on the canal in a quandary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Bihar: This boy risks his life to save four students from drowning!
- Panel discussion on insensitive behaviour of administration and govt towards common man
- Stopping exercise for 10 days decreases brain blood flow
- Learn it from Japan – It runs a train for single passenger! Know why
- Subramanian Swamy calls LG Najeeb Jung a “420 like Kejriwal”
- India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media
- MUST WATCH: When Mahendra Singh Dhoni hit two monster sixes out of Florida stadium