Two more policemen suspended in Goa
Panaji: The number of policemen suspended within 24 hours in Goa has gone up to three, with the suspension of two more in a criminal case.
Inspector General of Police (IGP) Sundari Nanda suspended Police Inspector Jivba Dalvi and Police Sub-Inspector Sushant Gawas last night for allegedly trying to cover up the murder of 29-year-old Melvyn Gomes at Arossim village, 30 km from
The victim, who was working as a site supervisor, was found dead on the premises of a five star hotel on June 15.
The police had registered his death as an accident which spurred local residents to protest. Some of them mobbed Goa medical college and hospital. Two autopsies were later conducted on Gomes` body and the second confirmed that he was
Dalvi was subsequently taken off from the investigation and shifted from Verna police station to Goa Reserve Police, after locals blocked roads for a day as a mark of protest in the last week of June.
They had threatened to intensify their agitation from Friday if Dalvi was not suspended.
A third police official, PSI Prasanna Bhagat, was suspended on Monday for trying to extort money from the parents of the surviving youths whose one friend had drowned and other had gone missing off the Cabo da Rama beach on July
He had allegedly demanded Rs 25,000 each from them, threatening them that he would file an attempt to murder case against their children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what