UGDP legislator joins Congress in Goa
Panaji: Congress in Goa Monday got a shot in
the arm with a United Goans Democratic Party (unattached)
legislator joining the party.
"UGDP (unattached) legislator Anatanasio `Babush`
Monserratte is joining Congress...The entry is unconditional
and there will no portfolio reshuffle," Chief Minister
Digamber Kamat told reporters outside his official residence
Monserratte is education minister in Kamat`s cabinet.
With him joining the party, Congress` strength in the state
has jumped from 18 to 19 in the 40-member House.
In the past, the legislator had refused Congress ticket
during 2007 Assembly Elections in Goa. Monserratte had almost
filed the nominations on Congress ticket before he changed his
mind at last minute. He had preferred to contest from the
regional outfit as Congress refused to give ticket to his wife
Jeniffer from neighbouring St Cruz constituency.
Both husband and wife had contested on UGDP ticket. Soon
after the elections, Monserratte was part of the first
rebellion against Kamat, within two months of forming the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production