UGDP legislator joins Congress in Goa
Panaji: Congress in Goa Monday got a shot in
the arm with a United Goans Democratic Party (unattached)
legislator joining the party.
"UGDP (unattached) legislator Anatanasio `Babush`
Monserratte is joining Congress...The entry is unconditional
and there will no portfolio reshuffle," Chief Minister
Digamber Kamat told reporters outside his official residence
Monserratte is education minister in Kamat`s cabinet.
With him joining the party, Congress` strength in the state
has jumped from 18 to 19 in the 40-member House.
In the past, the legislator had refused Congress ticket
during 2007 Assembly Elections in Goa. Monserratte had almost
filed the nominations on Congress ticket before he changed his
mind at last minute. He had preferred to contest from the
regional outfit as Congress refused to give ticket to his wife
Jeniffer from neighbouring St Cruz constituency.
Both husband and wife had contested on UGDP ticket. Soon
after the elections, Monserratte was part of the first
rebellion against Kamat, within two months of forming the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion