UGDP legislator joins Congress in Goa
Panaji: Congress in Goa Monday got a shot in
the arm with a United Goans Democratic Party (unattached)
legislator joining the party.
"UGDP (unattached) legislator Anatanasio `Babush`
Monserratte is joining Congress...The entry is unconditional
and there will no portfolio reshuffle," Chief Minister
Digamber Kamat told reporters outside his official residence
Monserratte is education minister in Kamat`s cabinet.
With him joining the party, Congress` strength in the state
has jumped from 18 to 19 in the 40-member House.
In the past, the legislator had refused Congress ticket
during 2007 Assembly Elections in Goa. Monserratte had almost
filed the nominations on Congress ticket before he changed his
mind at last minute. He had preferred to contest from the
regional outfit as Congress refused to give ticket to his wife
Jeniffer from neighbouring St Cruz constituency.
Both husband and wife had contested on UGDP ticket. Soon
after the elections, Monserratte was part of the first
rebellion against Kamat, within two months of forming the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections