UGDP legislator joins Congress in Goa
Panaji: Congress in Goa Monday got a shot in
the arm with a United Goans Democratic Party (unattached)
legislator joining the party.
"UGDP (unattached) legislator Anatanasio `Babush`
Monserratte is joining Congress...The entry is unconditional
and there will no portfolio reshuffle," Chief Minister
Digamber Kamat told reporters outside his official residence
Monserratte is education minister in Kamat`s cabinet.
With him joining the party, Congress` strength in the state
has jumped from 18 to 19 in the 40-member House.
In the past, the legislator had refused Congress ticket
during 2007 Assembly Elections in Goa. Monserratte had almost
filed the nominations on Congress ticket before he changed his
mind at last minute. He had preferred to contest from the
regional outfit as Congress refused to give ticket to his wife
Jeniffer from neighbouring St Cruz constituency.
Both husband and wife had contested on UGDP ticket. Soon
after the elections, Monserratte was part of the first
rebellion against Kamat, within two months of forming the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi