Vigilance probe into `misappropriation of scholarship funds`
Puducherry: The Vigilance and Anti-Corruption wing on Friday launched a probe into the alleged misappropriation of funds meant for students joining professional courses under government quota in Puducherry, sources said.
This followed a complaint received from the Directorate of Higher and Technical Education yesterday and a case was registered, Vigilance and Anti-Corruption wing sources said.
The cashier in the Directorate had been listed as the prime accused and a detailed probe would also be held to find out whether there was involvement by any other officials in the racket, sources said.
The cashier, already suspended by the Directorate, has been absconding, they said.
As soon as a complaint was received from Parents and Students Association a few months ago that there was delay in availability of assistance to a number of eligible candidates, the Directorate found that there were "irregularities" in utilisation of funds under the scheme.
It was alleged that those who were not students in any of the courses were sanctioned the money.
As much as Rs 22 lakhs had been allegedly misappropriated. The fund was sanctioned under the Perunthalaivar Kamaraj Education Assistance scheme during academic years 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.
The scheme has been in force here since the last few years and government reimburses tuition fees charged by colleges for students joining professional courses after selection by Centralised Admission Committee under government quota under the scheme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof