Week-long bandh in Goa`s mining belt from August 21
Panaji: Goa Mining People`s Front on Saturday said it would hold a week-long bandh in Goa`s mining belt, seeking immediate resumption of mining in the state.
Mining has been stayed by the Supreme Court, following PILs about rampant illegal mining in the state.
GMPF today held a meeting here and resolved to hold successive bandhs from August 21 to August 28.
"Each day, there will be a bandh in one tehsil. The entire agitation will be peaceful," GMPF leader Christopher Fonseca told reporters here after the meeting.
A rally will be held here on August 29, to demand resumption of mining immediately after Ganesh Chaturthi festival which starts on September 9.
"It`s for almost one year that the mining has been stopped due to Supreme Court order forcing the people to lead a hands to mouth existence. 25 per cent of people in the state are dependent on mining," Fonseca said.
Neither the Central government nor the state government was serious about the issue, he alleged.
The future course of action would be announced at August 29 public rally, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah