Western Ghat ecology panel to submit report
Panaji: An expert panel constituted to to assess environmental impacts of various projects in ecologically sensitive Western Ghats will submit its interim report to the Centre on June 30.
Environmentalist Madhav Gadgil, heading the Western Ghats Ecology Experts Committee set up by the Union Ministry of Environment told PTI that the report addresses various issues crucial for the policy decisions of the state government.
"The Central and state government needed the report by June 30 as they have to take decision on various issues like moratorium on the mining in Goa and mining-related issues in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg," Gadgil said.
He said the final report could not be prepared as they are waiting for the feedback from a few members.
"We will be able to submit final report by August 31, 2011," he said, adding he has already intimated about the extended deadline to Union Environment and Forest Minister Jairam Ramesh.
The Goa government and influential mining lobby in the state is waiting for the report as it is expected to suggest about the buffer zone for various wildlife sanctuaries.
The state currently has zero buffer zone, which was rejected by National Wildlife Board headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The environmentalists in the state have recommended that there should be at least three-km buffer zone for the wildlife sanctuaries so that the mining activities do not obstruct the wild animals.
The Gadgil panel is also mandated to consider the grievance that provisions of Forest Conservation Act and Forest Rights Act have not been applied fully in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state